Vape UK only stocks products that have passed the safety and quality standards that the TPD governs. But are you aware of the TPD regulations and how they affect all nicotine-containing e-cigarettes that are produced for sale in the UK? This guide will explain it all.
The Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) or European Tobacco Products Directive (EUTPD) (2014/40/EU) is a directive of the European Union which legislates the sale and merchandising of tobacco and tobacco related products across the EU. The TPD aims to ensure a high level of health protection for all European citizens. The Directive became applicable for all EU Member States on 20th May 2016.
TPD covers the manufacture, presentation, and sale of all tobacco related products including cigarettes, roll your own tobacco, and electronic cigarettes. In order to address this situation, the European Union and its Member States have taken various tobacco control measures in the form of legislation, recommendations and information campaigns.
In summary, the policies for the Tobacco Products Directive cover; the regulation of tobacco products on the EU market (e.g. packaging, labelling, and ingredients), advertising restrictions for tobacco products, the creation of smoke-free environments, tax measures and activities against illegal trade, and acquiring anti-smoking campaigns.
With specific regard to e-cigarettes, the TPD introduced new rules which ensure:
- Minimum standards for the safety and quality of all e-cigarettes and refill containers (otherwise known as e-liquids)
- That information is provided to consumers so that they can make informed choices
- An environment that protects children from starting to use these products
- That no claims of medicinal benefit are made about vaping
So, what are the TPD rules?
As of May 2017, any nicotine-containing product relating to vaping must:
- Restrict the maximum volume of nicotine containing e-liquid in a single container to 10ml
- Restrict the capacity of e-cigarette tanks to no more than 2ml
- Restrict the nicotine strength of e-liquids to no more than 20mg/ml
- Have packaging that is child-resistant and tamper evident
- Not contain caffeine, taurine or colourings
- Be submitted to the MHRA before they can be sold
- Include relevant warnings and information
- Include no claims of medicinal benefit when marketing the product
Vape UK only stocks TPD compliant products
You should not be able to purchase non-compliant products within the EU. Since the directive came into action, we have guaranteed to our customers that every product we stock is fully compliant.
We are pleased to say we always pass with flying colours. This is due to the fact that our e-liquids only contain the highest grade ingredients:
- Propylene Glycol (PG)
- Vegetable Glycerine (VG)
- Pharmaceutical grade nicotine
- De-ionised water
- Natural and artificial flavourings
They are also completely free from Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl.
TPD regulations takeaways
Since the TPD regulations came into place, the vast majority of vape product producers have ensured that their products comply.
This means that now, in 2020, we are able to stock a wide range of products to cater for all types of vaper; you can always be confident that everything we sell will be fully compliant with TPD’s quality and safety regulations.
We will also only produce content that advises people about the latest vaping information from credible, fact checked sources; we have never, and will never, make false claims about the benefits of vaping.
We're here to help you quit smoking for good
At Vape UK, we pride ourselves on being responsible vaping advocates. We keep up to date with all of the latest news and studies and we are always on hand to offer helpful and honest advice about vaping. Please get in touch if you have any queries about the quality and safety of the products that we produce and sell.